In the past few years a number of websites have appeared that let you share your life story on the web. Most of these sites allow family members and friends to participate in your story telling as well. Here are ten interesting sites worth checking out – most are free while others have a modest registration fee. I’ve not used any of them so I can’t make any recommendations. But if you’re using one of these sites, please leave a comment and let me know what you like or don’t like about their service.
- tokoni: Tokoni was launched in late 2007 to enable people to share stories and experiences within a vibrant and open community where individual wisdom is celebrated and collective knowledge is valued.
- Dandelife: Dandelife is a social network built around the telling of your life’s story. You can use Dandelife to create your own personal biography and then share that with the rest of the world.
- Bloombla: Bloombla is a free, easy-to-use yet powerful storytelling tool that helps you collect, manage and share your life experiences with others. Tell your stories, upload your pictures and share it all with friends and family.
- The Elder Storytelling Place: Anyone who is age 50 or older may submit stories. You don’t need to keep a blog or any other kind of website to submit stories. In fact, non-bloggers especially are encouraged to join in. Stories may be original or may have been previously published in a magazine, other website or blog.
- The Remembering Site: The Remembering Site is for those who want to write and publish their life memories, experiences, memoirs or autobiography but have been overwhelmed at the prospect. For USD $25 (a one-time registration fee), The Remembering Site contains over one thousand evocative, story-related questions to lead you through the process.
- OurStory: OurStory helps you build and enrich your relationships and connections by guiding you (and others in your circle) to recall, write about and illustrate life’s most important memories.
- Story of My Life: Story of My Life and its Foundation have an ambitious goal: to collect the life story of every person who has walked the face of this earth – in the past, the present and the future and to keep these stories preserved and accessible forever.
- The Story Box Project: Anyone can contribute to the Story Box. Contributions have included: three hour-long DVDs, newspapers, full length play scripts, Mp3s, CDs, handwritten and typed stories. Contributions are read by hundreds and perhaps thousands of people all over the world.
- Great Life Stories: The community of GreatLifeStories.com is a safe repository of personal histories and memoirs. Stories can be stored for private use or shared with the world.
- LifeSnapz: LifeSnapz is a free and secure way for people to record and organize important events, milestones and memories in their lives. Users of LifeSnapz can contribute text, photos and video to describe these events. They share them with self-designated groups (like family members, colleagues, schoolmates or team members) Users can explore these events using dynamic timelines, maps and lists.
Photo by Will Lion
Share this post: