The Winter Olympics draws to a close in a few days. I’ve been thinking that Olympic athletes are a perfect example of what we need to do to achieve gold for our businesses. Here’s how:
- Goals. Olympians are clear about their goal. They want to be the best in the world. We can’t achieve the results we want in our businesses unless we aim to be the best. What do you need to do right now to achieve your best?
- Training. World class athletes continually train and push themselves to the limit and beyond. As small business owners we need to do the same. What are the skills you need to perfect? What’s working for you and what has to be dropped? How do you push yourself to the limit?
- Coaching. Athletes can’t do it all on their own. They rely on coaches to help them develop their skills. There are business and personal coaches who can do the same for you. What’s stopping you from hiring a coach? What do you need to do to overcome that obstacle?
- Perseverance. Elite athletes have setbacks but they don’t give up. Operating a small business can be tough at times. We encounter challenges that can be discouraging. But if we want to go, for the gold we have to pick ourselves up and keep going. What is your biggest challenge right now? How can you surmount it?
- Competition. Competing with others pushes athletes to achieve their best. Look at those businesses that offer similar products and services as yours. What competing businesses do you really admire? How can you do better?
- Concentration. Watching an Olympian in motion is to see someone with exquisite concentration. In our businesses we have to be similarly focused. How can you be more focused in your work? What do you need to give up to achieve concentration?
- Balance. World class athletes know that they must balance their hard work with rest, good diet, and friends and family. When you’re running a small business, it’s easy to go non-stop. How’s your work/life balance right now? What can you do to achieve a better balanced life?
So are you ready to go for gold? What have I left off the list? Let me know. I always enjoy your comments.
If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email.